Friday, February 13, 2015

Random Thoughts for a Friday

I was scrolling though Facebook this morning and came across a post that tagged a friend of mine.  I don't know the person that wrote the post and I don't know what his relationship is to my friend exactly, but it struck me as personal.  Deeply personal. Like "why the hell is he saying this on Facebook for the entire world to see?" personal. I'm surprised she allowed it, being one of the more quiet, private people that I know.  I don't get the feeling that he posted it with the intention of upsetting her, and I definitely think that he meant well, but damn.  If there was any question what he was feeling, we all have the answer now.

Controversy over what people post on Facebook is nothing new, it's been around as long as Facebook has existed.  My mom doesn't understand why my sister and I share pictures and my sister doesn't understand why I share my struggles with my children. (But believe me, someday she is going to be happy that there is a Lynette and a Dana and a Nicole and a Cheri and a Kelly to say, "Yeah, I totally get that!") What one person thinks is an intimate detail of their life might be common knowledge to someone else.  If you don't like someone's post, you always have the option of "hiding" it and if it truly offends you then you can report it. Post away, who am I to judge.

Facebook, when it's all said and done, is stupid.  I mean, it's fun a lot of the time.  I like pictures of kids being funny and seeing my friends on vacation and hearing about what is going on in their lives. It's neat to see what my grade school friends have grown up to become and to reconnect with my old roommates.   But when you stand back and look at it, it's silly.

But maybe some of the sharing isn't.  While I thought it was a little "TMI" to see the post that triggered this entire rambling, maybe the actual act of sharing isn't.  I hate not knowing things and if someone felt strongly about me, I would want to hear it from them.  Whether they thought I was an amazing friend, the most beautiful woman in the world, or a gigantic asshole, I would want to know.  Even though maybe we shouldn't be saying these things on Facebook for the entire world to hear,we should make sure that we tell people how we feel about them.

A few weeks back, somebody told me that they really enjoyed my Facebook posts.  That I made them smile at least twice a day.  I don't really try to make people laugh and I don't think that I am really that funny, but it made me feel good to hear that.  I felt appreciated.

We all know life is short, and nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.  I don't think very many people have ever wished that they hadn't told someone that they loved them.  Don't ever assume that someone knows what you think or how you feel. Whether you shout it from the mountaintops, send a PM, or call in an anonymous tip, let the important people in your life know that they matter to you.


No comments:

Post a Comment